Wagner Worldwide 2013, & Wagner 200, lectures

General Discussion about Wagner and The Ring of the Nibelung

Moderators: Justin Jeffrey, alberich00

Wagner Worldwide 2013, & Wagner 200, lectures

Postby alberich00 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Dear members of, and visitors to, the wagnerheim.com discussion forum:

I've just completed my mini-reviews of the lectures presented in late January and early February 2013 at the Wagner Worldwide 2013 bicentennial symposium.

Having watched youtube videos of these lectures and their Q&A sessions, I can fairly say that I regard this symposium as having been a worthwhile venture. I also watched the youtube videos of the prior lectures presented at a similar event, under the same auspices, at the Univ. of Bayreuth, and have also posted my reviews of a few of them in this discussion forum. The value of this exercise is that it allows us to survey the range of current Wagner scholarship in a comparatively brief time.

However, deep analysis of Wagner's librettos, in relation to his scores, was comparatively weakly represented there, with only a very few lectures devoted to it. Needless to say, had I been able to attend, and had I been able to offer a lecture for presentation that would have been accepted, I feel this would have enhanced this symposium. However, in the event I was unable to attend, even as a mere spectator.

I have also listened to a series of brief lectures recorded as part of the wholly distinct Wagner 200 bicentennial celebration in the UK organized primarily by Barry Millington, and will post my reviews of them (a much shorter list) in this discussion forum soon. These lectures are by John Deathridge, Michael Tanner, Christopher Janaway, Anthony Grayling, and Roger Scruton.

I regret to say that I have been unable to attend any of the performances and symposia and lectures presented in celebration of the bicentennial of Wagner's birth. My ability to experience these lectures online, and to offer my two cents on each of them, is at least some compensation.
alberich00
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion