synopsis of my interpretation of "Parsifal"

General Discussion about Wagner and The Ring of the Nibelung

Moderators: Justin Jeffrey, alberich00

synopsis of my interpretation of "Parsifal"

Postby alberich00 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:06 am

Dear members and visitors to http://www.wagnerheim.com's discussion forum:

Well over a decade ago I posted an introduction to the content and scope of my prospective book on Wagner's seven repertory operas and music-dramas from "The Flying Dutchman" through "Parsifal" (the four-part "Ring" reckoned here as a single work), "The Wound That Will Never Heal," at http://www.wagnersocietyflorida.org. Included in this introduction were thumbnail sketches of my interpretations of all seven works, so that readers could obtain an overview of how I construe these artworks as conceived by Wagner within one single conceptual frame of reference. I am posting in this discussion forum my synopses of Wagner's seven canonic operas and music-dramas, from 'Dutchman" through "Parsifal," so readers can see in brief how I relate one artwork to another in context.

Here is my synopsis of my interpretation of "Parsifal"

Understood as the final drama of the Ring and as Wagner’s perhaps subliminal renunciation of the Folk’s (i.e., mankind’s) religio-artistic bid for transcendence. In this interpretation Parsifal, representing the formerly unconsciously inspired artist-hero of each of Wagner’s prior operas and music-dramas, has been reincarnated for the last time. Kundry, the reincarnation of the heroine-muses in Wagner’s prior operas and music-dramas, knows for Parsifal what he, up until now, has not known, his true identity. Upon attaining complete enlightenment (complete wakefulness) regarding his true identity and fate, and becoming fully conscious of the formerly unconscious source of all religio-artistic inspiration, he holds himself responsible for having unwittingly perpetuated throughout the ages Wotan’s original sin of denying Mother Nature (his sin against all that was, is, and will be, Erda’s knowledge), the true cause of man’s unhealing wound. He escapes the eternal cycle of rebirth and the endless production of works of art, which provided only temporary redemption from, or a temporary balm or balsam for, man’s unhealing wound, by renouncing unconscious religio-artistic inspiration. In other words, he refuses to seek redemption through union with Kundry, his potential muse, who dies, in order to restore the real world’s, Mother Nature’s, rights. In this way Parsifal redeems himself, the redeemer, and Mother Nature, from man’s age-old sin of world-renunciation which religion and its heir, secular art, had perpetuated throughout all prior history. Amfortas’ – man’s - unhealing wound (his futile longing for transcendent meaning) is finally healed, through reconciliation with Nature.
alberich00
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion