final revision of my "Ring" book by, say, 11/2017!

General Discussion about Wagner and The Ring of the Nibelung

Moderators: Justin Jeffrey, alberich00

final revision of my "Ring" book by, say, 11/2017!

Postby alberich00 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Dear members of, and visitors to, http://www.wagnerheim.com's discussion forum:

I've been working very, very hard, for months and months, to edit my online book on Wagner's "Ring," "The Wound That Will Never Heal," Volume One, and just yesterday finally completed my last edit by hand in the four volumes I printed out, a couple of days ago. All I have left to do is to type in all these hand-written edits (hundreds and hundreds of them), including a few cuts here and there, into my computer file version, and then my third and final revision will be complete and ready to be sent to potential publishers.

I've made hundreds of subtle improvements, eliminated entirely a number of arguments which were either too abstruse or comparatively ineffective or of secondary importance, and kept pretty much only what I regard as the core of my original online book. The key point has been to emphasize clarity of argument, to clean out any chaff to get to the seed. However, I've only eliminated about 100 pages from the original, because my arguments and evidence are so organically interconnected that I would have lost conceptual continuity had I eliminated anything more.

This huge and final revision of my book, begun 46 years ago, also includes a new motif list with new numeration. I've eliminated some of Allen Dunning's list, and added other motifs he either omitted altogether or seems not to have included in his list because they are compound motifs comprised of motifs he'd already identified, including a few listed by Sir Roger Scruton in his 2016 book "The Ring of Truth." But Sir Roger omitted a few motifs which I will suggest to him he incorporate in a corrected list someday if he publishes a new edition of his book. In my revision I have corrected literally hundreds of placements or identifications of motifs in their context within the "Ring" libretto. I discovered no huge smoking guns among the mistakes in my original placement or identification of motifs, but nonetheless my corrections are a huge improvement, much more accurate I hope. Ultimately, I'll need someone totally conversant with the score to go over my book with a fine-toothed comb to check for any remaining errors or omissions.

But one way or another, my final revision should be complete by, I imagine, some time in November, this year, ready for publishers.
alberich00
Site Admin

Re: final revision of my "Ring" book by, say, 11/2017!

Postby alberich00 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 am

Dear Everybody:

My apologies. My companion Dotti and I were refugees from Southeast Florida from Hurricane Irma. We had to spend 1.5 weeks in the mountains of West Virginia staying with my companion's daughter, and after we got back I had to spend over a week cleaning up the massive amounts of refuse from the storm, so I think I'd better be conservative and say my third and final revision of my online book on Wagner's "Ring" will be ready sometime before 2018. Also, having eliminated 3-4 motifs from my (i.e., Allen Dunning's) original motif list of 178, and having added another 12 or so, I'll need some time to alter my revised version of my book to entirely incorporate these changes. Needless to say the numbering of the entire list will be altered now. But I have good reason to think the book will be ready for publishers by Christmas.

Your friend from wagnerheim.com,

Paul Heise
alberich00
Site Admin

Re: final revision of my "Ring" book by, say, 11/2017!

Postby alberich00 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:27 am

Dear Everybody:

Here's my update. My third and final revision of my online book on Wagner's "Ring" is coming along swimmingly, and I've also had some wonderful news. Dr. Allen Dunning, who created the original "Ring" motif list employed in my "Ring" book here at www.wagnerheim.com, has agreed to produce the musical notation for the (now) 16-17 new motifs I've decided to add to his original list, and also to produce mp3 files so they can be heard. I can't say when but at some point I should be able to post my entirely new, revised list of motifs, here at www.wagnerheim.com, replacing the original list. This could be a little disconcerting for longtime members of, or visitors to, www.wagnerheim.com, who've gotten used to my original list of 177 motifs, because, after adding 16 new ones and having to alter the numeration of the old list to fit the new ones in, almost none of the original motifs' numbers in my new list will correspond with their original numbers. For those who've never seen the old list the new list won't be a problem. But my new list is a huge improvement and has led to a few new discoveries and insights which can only enhance the new version of my book which I hope to get published in hardcopy, and/or perhaps as an e-book for sale.

Your friend from www.wagnerheim.com,

Paul Brian Heise
alberich00
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion