Welcome to wagnerheim.com's Wagner discussion forum

General Discussion about Wagner and The Ring of the Nibelung

Moderators: Justin Jeffrey, alberich00

Welcome to wagnerheim.com's Wagner discussion forum

Postby alberich00 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Dear Visitors to wagnerheim.com:

I am the author of "The Wound That Will Never Heal," the in-depth study of Wagner's "The Ring of the Nibelung" which is the centerpiece of this website. I wish to welcome visitors to this site and encourage users to debate matters Wagnerian in this forum. Presentation of alternative hypotheses is encouraged. Any suggestions for improvement re the site's ease of use, presentation, reasonability of argument, factuality, and accuracy, are also encouraged.

It is expected that contributors to the discussion forum will limit their discussions to the understanding and appreciation of Wagner's artistic and philosophic legacy. There will, of course, be occasions when such discussions naturally branch out into other areas, such as general questions about music and its meaning, the nature of human and animal language, human origins, the history of ideas, aesthetic theory, the philosophy of science, religious beliefs, anthropology, etc., and such discussions are also encouraged to the extent that they help enlighten us about matters which were of concern to Wagner, and which therefore help us to more fully grasp Wagner's influence and the implications of his life's work.

Needless to say, discussions about the history of Wagner in performance, debates over the merits of interpretations in the theater or in concert, Wagner's place in the realm of musical theater, etc., are also encouraged. Discussions about the various artistic and intellectual and historical influences which Wagner absorbed and made his own, and his influence on contemporaries and subsequent artists and thinkers and political figures are also encouraged.

It is hoped and expected that contributors will refrain from name calling and other abusive language or accusations, and will maintain a tone commensurate with the spirit in which this website has been presented to the public. The Moderator reserves the right to ban contributors who develop a pattern of abuse and/or habitual submission of inappropriate material.
alberich00
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to wagnerheim.com's Wagner discussion forum

Postby Mindvision » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:06 am

Hi

Good luck with Wagnerheim, you have worked long and hard on this.

Justin
Mindvision

Postby A.C. Douglas » Mon May 23, 2011 12:44 am

Hello, Paul.

What a beautiful website! Is the design and implementation yours? If so, Bravo!

I've had time only to skim the site so far to get its overall feel, but one thing I noticed right off: your book's page-forward and page-back links which are located at the top right corner of each page need most urgently to be placed at the bottom of the page as well (or exclusively). Their present location requires a reader to read to the bottom of the page and then return to the top in order to get to the next (or previous) page. Also, no way to get back to the main website from the forum (clicking on the the header link simply returns one to the Board Index page).

Awkward navigation.

ACD
A.C. Douglas

Postby alberich00 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:06 am

Dear ACD:

It's great to hear from you. I just posted your highly useful words of advice to the webmeister from MindVision, Justin Jeffrey, who built this website and is responsible for most of its beautiful appearance. The color coding of different classes of quoted material was suggested (and well suggested) by Dr. Roger Scruton. That the site exists at all is owing to his good offices.

Your old colleague and debating-partner from discussion forums of yesteryear,

Paul
alberich00
Site Admin

Postby A.C. Douglas » Mon May 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Motif #1, described by Deryck Cooke as the Primal Nature Motif, or Original Nature Motif, is a diatonic arpeggio, which for Wagner apparently represented the fundamental component of all music, from which all musical development arises, just as here it becomes the basis for the creation of our world, or at any rate, for our rising consciousness of the pre-existing, timeless world.

Just began scanning the book itself, and almost immediately came across the above in the Rheingold section. As you've stated it, it's quite wrong technically, and needs to be corrected.

The Original Nature Motif traces out in arpeggiated form a major triad (in this case, E-flat major) which is the fundamental component of all tonal music, period, NOT just for Wagner and NOT "apparently represented the fundamental component of all music" (the major triad IS the fundamental component of all tonal music).

Also, I trust you're aware that the links to the musical examples are not yet functioning.

Just FYI.

ACD
A.C. Douglas

Re: A.C. Douglas on musical examples

Postby alberich00 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Dear ACD:

Thank you for the correction: I'll make the appropriate change shortly.

I'm not sure what you mean when you mention that the musical examples aren't yet functioning. They are functioning on my computer. Could you give me your examples? We'll make the appropriate fixes.

Thank you again, ACD: this is precisely the kind of vetting which will constantly improve this website, and make contributors such as yourself fellow-owners of the site, as it were, with an investment in it as a resource for all.

Your friend from Wagnerheim,

Paul
alberich00
Site Admin

Re: A.C. Douglas on musical examples

Postby A.C. Douglas » Mon May 23, 2011 10:11 pm

alberich00 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean when you mention that the musical examples aren't yet functioning. They are functioning on my computer. Could you give me your examples? We'll make the appropriate fixes.

Your musical example links are OK. I'm using Microsoft's new Internet Explorer 9 as my browser and apparently your website is not compliant with IE9 when IE9 is run in its "native mode". I forgot to switch the mode to what's called IE9's "compatibility mode" which allows the browser to function with websites which are not yet compliant with IE9. When I switched to IE9's "compatibility mode" your musical example links functioned as they should. I should have done that before to test it, but neglected to do so. Sorry for the false alarm.

ACD
A.C. Douglas

Postby feuerzauber » Thu May 26, 2011 8:11 am

Unfortunately, the audio musical controller doesn't show up on an iPad (although it works fine on a Mac computer).
That's a pity as your remarkable 'book' would make a great portable reference and delightful travelling companion.
(I imagine the problem arises from Apple's refusal to support technologies like Flash on the iPad.)
feuerzauber

Postby alberich00 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:18 am

Dear Feuerzauber:

That's sad, because I was really looking forward to folks being able to access the site and all its accessories from all possible portable systems, anywhere and any time. I wouldn't have the beginning of a clue how to solve this problem. Perhaps future members of the discussion forum can help us solve it.

Your friend from Wagnerheim,

Paul
alberich00
Site Admin

Postby feuerzauber » Thu May 26, 2011 8:30 am

Dear friend Alberch00,

I'm confident that a simple solution may be found.
I'll investigate over the coming weekend if no-one can suggest a solution earlier.

Feuerzauber
feuerzauber

Next

Return to General Discussion