Barenboim's Proms Ring Cycle

General Discussion about Wagner and The Ring of the Nibelung

Moderators: Justin Jeffrey, alberich00

Barenboim's Proms Ring Cycle

Postby Bill H. » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:04 pm

For those of you who missed the webcasts of the 2013 Proms Ring Cycle that was conducted by Daniel Barenboim in July, this was a widely praised (though of course, not perfect) set of performances, made in front of an appreciative audience at the Royal Albert Hall. Whether or not you heard any part of them, I made a web stream copy of the performances when they were temporarily available. The streamed files were saved in 320 kbps mp3 format. I have two versions available (for your personal use only, please) of all four operas in the cycle:

1) Long file versions, with a single mp3 for Das Rheingold and single files for each Act of the other operas. This format might be preferable if your music player is unable to handle gapless playback of mp3 files.

2) Track-split versions, which have the Operas split as would be customary in a CD or other download release. (However, I have made no attempt to group the "tracks" for CD-R writing.)

In BOTH cases, I have included the commentaries by Tom Service of the Guardian/BBC before and after the music. Besides background material, his commentary gives the full cast lists, so for that reason I have not included the singer names in the file tags. Cast lists are also still available at the BBC's Proms website. These commentaries are standalone tracks, and can be deleted if desired from your playlist. I've provided brief fades in the applause leading to the commentary tracks when needed.

For the most part, other than very mild augmentation of the lowest and highest frequency bands (sort of a "loudness lite" contour), there has been no other adjustment to the audio balance and EQ, other than a relative lowering of the spoken commentary volume. Overall, I found the sound to be excellent, as might be expected from the BBC.

This link will take you to a megafolder, where you can download the operas in either/both zipped file formats, per your preference. If you should get some sort of error display when clicking on an item, look for an Open or Download button that enables you to bypass it to start your download (ask here in a followup message if you have any problems). Google does this for large file downloads, since there is no means to virus-check the files--you can/should do this anyway once they are downloaded.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Please note: I will keep the link active for only a limited time, since it's entirely possible that the BBC might issue their own commercial version of this recording in the future. After I change the access permissions, any requests for access must be made by sending me a private message via this website, using the "Members" link, so try that if you have problems.

I've checked everything with the tracks, and so far I've not heard of any problems, but please advise should you find this to be the case. Thank you, and if you take up this offer I hope you enjoy this Ring cycle.

Bill H.
Bill H.

Re: Barenboim's Proms Ring Cycle

Postby robt » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:18 am

Hi Bill,

I've just discovered a few snippets of the Wagner Ring at the BBC proms recordings on youtube, and I'm aghast at the possibility that you might still have them all recorded in some format or other.

The link you posted isn't working today. Please could you let me know if it's still possible to get these files from you in some form?

Many hopeful thanks,

Rob
robt

Postby Bill H. » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Rob

I must apologize for my neglect of this account, and getting to your message nearly a year later!

Here is a new link for the files. For now I only have the fully tracked versions.
Try this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByTWd ... nNibkJYN1k

Bill
Bill H.

Postby ariel_ilan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:28 pm

All praise to Bill, what a tremendous resource! I have periodically been checking in to see if the BBC has issued the cycle... Anybody know the cast list?
ariel_ilan

Postby ariel_ilan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:51 pm

Wotan - Iaian Patterson (Rheingold), Bryn Terfel (Walkure) and Terje Stensvold (Siegfried)
Brunnhilde - Nina Stemme
Siegfried - Lance Ryan (Siegfried), Andreas Schager (Gotterdamerrung)
Siegelinde - Anja Kampe
Siegmund - Simon O'Neill
ariel_ilan

Postby alberich00 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:43 am

Dear Bill, Rob, and Ariel:

Thanks much, Bill, for your huge service to the world of Wagneriana, and thanks you other guys for keeping wagnerheim.com cooking in my absence. I have to apologize for only posting at the site from time to time, but as I'm currently working 24/7 on my overall Wagner project, which will eventually benefit wagnerheim.com in a huge way, I guess I can excuse myself. I have recently run into a sort of crisis which, however, may in the long run greatly enhance the cache and reputation of my "Ring" interpretation and interpretations of Wagner's other canonical operas and music dramas. Presumably this situation will shake itself out sometime in 2016.

In the meantime, Bill, your service is hugely appreciated by the inner circle of avowed Wagnerians. Thank you again.

Your friend from Wagnerheim,

Paul alias Alberich00
alberich00
Site Admin

Postby aidanpkelly » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:44 pm

Very pleased to find this Ring available here.

Aidan Kelly
aidanpkelly

Postby alberich00 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:59 am

Proms 2013 Ring
John Dimitris 8:02 AM (54 minutes ago)Pin to alberich00Hide detailsInboxMark as UnreadReply More
John Dimitris
To:
alberich00@operamail.com
Subject:
Proms 2013 Ring
Date:
Wednesday, September 07, 2016 8:02 AM
Size:
8 KB
Dear Bill,

For years I have been trying to find a recording of that performance (I usually looked in BBC sites). It was only a few days ago that I came across your site – three years later?. I got the available files and placed them on my MP3 player. Unfortunately, only the tracked version was available and the gaps in the player are very distracting.

You mentioned in the original post that you had a trackless stream-record. Is it possible to get my hands on it?

Many thanks,
Dimitris
alberich00
Site Admin

Postby Bill H. » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Dimitris:
Yes, it is possible for me to upload a non-tracked version, at least temporarily.
I set up the tracked version for those who might want to burn the files to CDs, or to just reference where they are.
However, I wanted to make sure that the mp3 gap issue that you are running into can't be addressed by another means as well--what player software are you using?
There are media players available that will play mp3s gaplessly--on the computer I use foobar2000, which also is available in a fairly new mobile version.
Another mobile-based player for Android is Poweramp. Both apps are free to use, but it does mean that you must download the zip files and store them locally on your device.
Let me know your preference in what to do next.
Regards,
Bill

alberich00 wrote:Subject:
Proms 2013 Ring
Date:
Wednesday, September 07, 2016 8:02 AM
Size:
8 KB
Dear Bill,

For years I have been trying to find a recording of that performance (I usually looked in BBC sites). It was only a few days ago that I came across your site – three years later?. I got the available files and placed them on my MP3 player. Unfortunately, only the tracked version was available and the gaps in the player are very distracting.

You mentioned in the original post that you had a trackless stream-record. Is it possible to get my hands on it?

Many thanks,
Dimitris
Bill H.

Return to General Discussion