My book on Wagner's "Ring" ready for publishers

General Discussion about Wagner and The Ring of the Nibelung

Moderators: alberich00, Justin Jeffrey

alberich00
Site Admin

My book on Wagner's "Ring" ready for publishers

Post by alberich00 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:08 am

Dear members of, and visitors to, www.wagnerheim.com's discussion forum:

I just wanted to let you all know that around 10:30am or so, yesterday (8/25/2018), I completed my final revision of my online book on Wagner's "Ring," "The Wound That Will Never Heal, Volume One, so it's now ready to present to publishers. In the next few weeks I'll be writing book proposals for Oxford University Press, Princeton University Press, and Cambridge University Press, among others. Needless to say, there are hundreds of subtle and not so subtle improvements, including a far more accurate identification of musical motifs at all of their occurrences within the "Ring," which can now be seen in the context of their occurrence in the score within the libretto passages I've quoted in my new book, which of course contains almost the entirety of RW's libretto. I've added 23 new motifs to Dr. Allen Dunning's original list of 177 (#178 was redundant: it's merely the final iteration of #93), but eliminated 7 from his original list, 5 because I don't regard them as true musical motifs, and 2 by virtue of consolidating on set of two related motifs, and another set of two related motifs, into two motifs instead of four.

I'll be submitting my book to these and perhaps other publishers probably starting in September. Wish me luck, and please buy my book once it's in print. It will unquestionably be the definitive conceptual study of the "Ring" for our time, and is by far the most comprehensive study of it, backed up by the most exhaustive vetting of the documentary evidence. I look forward to hearing your opinions about it, for better or worse, in this discussion forum (or perhaps in a discussion forum available through acquisition of an e-book version of my published book). I would imagine that if a publisher agrees to publish an e-book version of my book, I may have to remove this website for the obvious reason that publishers wouldn't want me making available for free another version of what they're offering for sale. But it's premature to go into this further until I see what's on offer from publishers.

To all of you who have benefitted from www.wagnerheim.com, I thank you, and look forward to hearing from you in the future.