Wintersturmer: Is Siegfried a Nibelung?

General Discussion about Wagner and The Ring of the Nibelung

Moderators: alberich00, Justin Jeffrey

alberich00
Site Admin

Wintersturmer: Is Siegfried a Nibelung?

Post by alberich00 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:38 am

On 12/9/2021, Wintersturmer sent me the following email:

Ho! I'm spinning my wheels again...this time with that bothersome "Nacht und Nebel" phrase from Mime. As you mention in THE TOME, it's an allusion to Nibelheim (after all, in Rheingold, Alberich talks of amassing the Hoard in Nibelheim's night, with which he will work wonders). Could Mime be plotting to kill the nascent artist-hero metaphorically (instead of literally) by transforming him into a craven, ego-driven Nibelung...just as his nephew Hagan successfully transforms Siegfried into a craven Gibichung with what ultimately becomes a Death potion that extinguishes the artist-hero/Wotan and his last hope for redemption?

more onion peels...
W
alberich00
Site Admin

Re: Wintersturmer: Is Siegfried a Nibelung?

Post by alberich00 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:40 am

Dear Wintersturmer:

Well, it turns out that in Wagner's pre-Ring writings from 1848, on at least two occasions he wrote that Siegfried does indeed become a Nibelung by virtue of taking possession of the Nibelung Hoard. And of course even Wagner stated how Siegfried's figurative rape of Brünnhilde in T.1.3.B reminded him of Alberich's figurative rape of the Rhinegold. But also, when Mime fantasizes to himself about plunging Siegfried into sleep with his potion, so Mime can chop off Siegfried's head with Nothung, we hear the motifs of Godhead Lost and of Brünnhilde's Magic Sleep (the Godhead Lost Motif is the musical basis of Brünnhilde's Magic Sleep Motif). The implication is that Wotan, by virtue of his long-term plan to have Siegfried take possession of Alberich's Ring to protect the gods from its Curse (which necessarily involves leaving it in Brünnhilde's, his unconscious mind's, safekeeping), is consigning Siegfried to suffer the same Ring Curse to which Wotan himself will succumb, which in fact is precisely what Brünnhilde says in her final words in T.3.3.

Your man from www.wagnerheim.com,

Paul