General Discussion about Wagner and The Ring of the Nibelung

Moderators: alberich00, Justin Jeffrey

alberich00
Site Admin

Wintersturmer: Rhinedaughter figurations

Post by alberich00 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:05 pm

On 12/12/2021, Wintersturmer posed the following questions:

Greetings, O Purveyor of Knowledge,

I have a Rhinemaiden-related query: As they are swimming away from Siegfried in Twilight (just before they start their non-verbal singing...return to Woglinde lullaby?), there is a rapid repeated (arpeggiated?) upward phrase on strings (a slightly slowed down sung version occured as they teased Siegfried). Is this a rapid version of the Nature/Erda motif? What I find significant is that a perfect inversion (downward) of it (like a fast "watery" version of Erda's announcement of the Twilight of the Gods) occurs in the Immolation scene as the Rhine maidens pull Hagan under and retrieve the Ring, just before the grand finale of Valhalla's and the god's destruction. I'm just wondering if this last "water music' passage is really motival material, or merely a bit of sonic scenery? I did a rapid check of your Immolation section...but admit that I didn't read through the whole thing, so I might have missed something.

W
alberich00
Site Admin

Re: Wintersturmer: Rhinedaughter figurations

Post by alberich00 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:07 pm

On 12/17/2021, I responded:

Dear Wintersturmer:

Greetings, O receiver of knowledge and imparter of wisdom:

Evidently the motif H190, which previously depicted the Rhinedaughters' jubilantly splashing around in the Rhine is the basis for those rapid upward rising orchestral burst which accompany the Rhinedaughters' joyously leaving Siegfried to his fate, interspersed with some H17 (Ring) variant. It's perhaps only distantly related to the Rhine music per se (H3) which gives birth to both Erda's motif H52 and the second segment of Wotan's Grand Idea (Sword) motif H56b.What's particularly interesting about the water figurations in T.3.1 is that Wagner occasionally manipulates them to sound like references both to Loge's fire and to the music which conveyed the Woodbird flapping its wings and chirping.

Your man from www.wagnerheim.com,

Paulus Stupendous