General Discussion about Wagner and The Ring of the Nibelung

Moderators: alberich00, Justin Jeffrey

alberich00
Site Admin

Wintersturmer: Question re World-Inheritance Motif

Post by alberich00 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:11 pm

On 12/11/2021, Wintersturmer posed the following questions:

Grief!

It's at times like these that I wish the Mighty Tome had a more comprehensive index (that way, you wouldn't be pestered by my constant queries), especially when it comes to cross-referencing motifs. For instance, I've started wondering if the New Religion motif in Siegfried 3.1 (Cooke's "Inheritance of the World's Treasure") is transformed into the Gibichung motif in Twilight. They both share the initial wide drop in the first two notes, followed by an ascending passage. That, of course, is the same structure as Wotan's Great Idea, although I'm not sure that the drop in the two other motifs is the Idea's octave drop. If this is discussed in the Tome, I'll run into it, so don't bother yourself with a lengthy explanation.

Here's a depressing thought: what if the redeeming "art of the future" that is to be the balm against the harshness of truth turns out to be Mark Zuckerberg's waking dream of the alternate reality proffered by his "Metaverse?" Actually, I'm not sure that this techno-Gesampskunstwerk would count as being subliminally-inspired: it would seem to be more in the ilk of the self-deception of that "Ol' Time Religion." By the way, I did read in the NY Review of Books some time ago on a work by de Botton(sic?) on the value/need for secular celebrations/commemorations/quasi-rituals to replace the religious ones. I could scan the review and send it to you if you're interested.

W
alberich00
Site Admin

Re: Wintersturmer: Question re World-Inheritance Motif

Post by alberich00 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:13 pm

I responded:

I don't hear any "World-Inheritance Motif" in any of the Gibichung motifs, ho ho ho, and it also wouldn't parse conceptually, says me.